Global Cities Service
Forecasts to 2035 for 780 of the world’s most important cities.
Detailed economic forecasts to 2035 for 780 important cities across the globe, using consistent definitions of cities, sectors, demographics, and spending behavior to allow comparison of the prospects and trends for cities across different continents.
Global Cities helps clients to make decisions about market and investment strategies, secure in the knowledge that they are comparing like-with-like. Clients have full online access to the full historical and forecast dataset, supplemented with top-line written analysis, occasional Research Briefings, and full access to our team of researchers, as well as invitations to relevant webinars and conferences.
What the service includes:
- Broad global coverage. Forecasts for 780 cities in 161 countries. All forecasts are consistent with our country and industry forecasts, providing a level basis for analysis.
- Extensive data by location. Consistent and comparable annual data and forecasts for total GDP, the labour market, population and income, consumer spending by category, and retail sales.
- 55 years of data. The data generally refers back to 2000, and the forecast horizon is 2035. To ensure you have the latest information for these dynamic and rapidly changing markets, we update our forecasts on an annual basis.
Software and support
- Methodology report. Explanation of data sources, urban definitions, forecast methods and approaches to estimate and fill missing data, as well as an outline of the linkages to our Global Economic Model.
- Advanced analytical functions. Our web-based databank allows users to quickly build custom queries with complete flexibility and view the data in tables, charts, and maps. Numbers may be represented as absolutes, percentages, and even differences between time periods. All data are annotated by source, date of update, and analyst. Searches can be saved for later reference and downloaded to Excel.
- Economist support. We provide full client support to answer questions about our data or forecasts.
Countries and cities covered
780 cities globally, including 94 in Africa, 31 in the Middle East, 323 in Asia, 159 in Europe, 162 in the Americas and the Caribbean, and 11 in Oceania.
- Gross Domestic Product: GDP; Location-based GDP and Gross value added by sector (nominal and real in LCU and US$).
- Labour market: Location-based employment by sector for Agriculture; Industry; Transport, storage, information and communication services; Financial and business services; Consumer services; Public services; and Total employment.
- Population: Five-year age cohorts; Total population; Births; Deaths; Net migration; Average household size; Total households.
- Income: Household income; Average and Total household personal disposable income (nominal and real in LCU, US$, and PPP); Household incomes band from $1,000 to $250,000 (nominal and real in LCU, US$, and PPP).
- Consumer spending by product/service (nominal and real in LCU, US$, and PPP, by product and total) for: Food and non-alcoholic beverages; alcoholic beverages, tobacco, and illicit goods; clothing and footwear; housing, water, electricity, gas, and other fuels; household furnishings, household equipment, and other housing expenditure; health goods and services; transport service and vehicle purchases; communication goods and services; recreational and cultural goods and services; education; restaurants and hotels; other goods and services.