While the US economy is now in its longest expansion on record, clouds are forming on the horizon. Trade tensions between the world’s largest economic powers, heightened geopolitical risks and growing policy uncertainty threaten the health of the US economy. In order to prepare for this, Oxford Economics has published the US Recession Scenario Service that analyzes the potential causes of an economic downturn as well as the impact on industries and regions across the nation.
Key scenario assumptions:
• Trade: The US imposes a 10% tariff on all Chinese imports not currently targeted and a 25% tariff on EU automotive imports, prompting both economies to retaliate.
• Confidence: Trade tensions and a recession bias prompt consumers and firms to pull back on spending, hitting both the labor market and equity prices.
• Profits: The fall in demand, tighter financial conditions and a decline in productivity growth squeeze corporate margins and dent stock valuations, ultimately leading to defaults in high-yield bonds.
Using our world leading Global Economic & Industry Models, the Service will answer questions such as:
• What will be the triggers, and leading indicators, of the recession?
• How severe would the recession be, and how long would it last?
• What sectors would be most impacted by the recession?
• Which cities & regions in the US would be most exposed?
The US Recession Scenario Service includes:
• A 15-page report written by Oxford’s senior team of US economists
• Data and forecasts measuring the impacts across 10 other major economies, 15 US industry sectors and all US metros.
• Clients will also have access to Oxford’s team of 250+ economists and other selected research published on the topic
To order or receive more information
About Oxford Economics
Oxford Economics is a leader in global forecasting and quantitative analysis. Our best-in-class global economic and industry models and analytical tools give us an unmatched ability to forecast external market trends and assess their economic, social and business impact.
To find out more about this service, contact:
+1 (646) 786 1879
+44 (0)203 910 8090
+61 2 8458 4234
From opportunity to impact – Assessing the economic, societal, and cultural benefits of YouTube in Sweden
This study assesses YouTube's contribution to GDP and employment in Sweden, and its broader impact on society and culture.Find Out More
Från möjlighet till påverkan – Utvärdering av de ekonomiska, sociala och kulturella fördelarna med YouTube i Sverige
Denna studie utvärderar YouTubes påverkan på Sveriges BNP och sysselsättningsgrad samt samhället och kulturen.Find Out More
The economic importance of motorcycles to Europe – technical report
Motorcycle-related activity supports €21.4 billion of output (GDP) across Europe a year, sustains 389,000 jobs, and generates €16.6 billion of tax revenues, according to research by Oxford Economics.Find Out More