Recent Release | 21 Jul 2023

Economic Impacts of The White Lotus Season Two in Italy

Economic Consulting Team

Oxford Economics

In 2022, production of Season Two of “The White Lotus” resulted in total spending in Italy of over €32 million. Spending with over 700 local suppliers of goods and services was the main expenditure item, making up 75% of the total expenditure at over €24 million. The majority of this spending was done in Sicily and Lazio (the city of Rome, specifically). The remaining 25% of spending measured at €8 million and was spent on wages and salaries for local production crew and other labor.

We calculate that expenditure by the production of Season Two of “The White Lotus” stimulated over €38 million in contribution to Italy’s GDP in 2022. We find that for every €1 million that the production’s own activities contributed to the economy, its expenditure supported a further €3.8 million across Italy along its supply chain and through the payment of wages.

We find that the expenditure undertaken by the show’s production supported a total of 1,900 full time and part time jobs across Italy in 2022. The TV series production itself employed an estimated 1,500 workers. For every 100 people the production directly employed, its expenditure supported another 27 jobs across the country through secondary effects.

To download the report, please complete the form below.

The expert behind the research

Our Economic Consulting team are world leaders in quantitative economic analysis, working with clients around the globe and across sectors to build models, forecast markets and evaluate interventions using state-of-the art techniques.

Arushi Pasricha

Economist, Economic Impact

Read the report

Complete the form below to download the report.

Recent Motion Picture reports

Economic Impact of NCIS: Hawai’i Season Two

Across 2022-23, production of Season Two of “NCIS: Hawai’i” resulted in total spending in the state of approximately $79.4 million.

Find Out More
The Economic Contribution of Mexico’s Audiovisual Industry

This report demonstrates the integral role that the AV industry plays in Mexico's economy by estimating the industry’s domestic economic footprint. The analysis comprises all aspects of the audiovisual industry, including film production, distribution, and exhibition; the production, distribution, and broadcast of television content on free-to-air and pay TV channels; and online video platforms. Our estimates provide a recent snapshot of the audiovisual industry, including impacts at the broader industry level and broken out by sub-sector.

Find Out More
Economic impacts of “Pitch Perfect: Bumper in Berlin” in Germany

This study, commissioned by the Motion Picture Association (MPA), focuses on the show “Pitch Perfect: Bumper in Berlin”, and analyses the production’s total economic impacts in Germany in 2022, when the series was filmed. The study also considers the wider impact on Germany’s economy.

Find Out More
Economic Impacts of Sweet Tooth Season One in New Zealand (with Motion Picture Association)

In 2020, production of Season One of “Sweet Tooth” resulted in total spending in New Zealand of over NZ$46 million.

Find Out More