Recent Release | 05 Apr 2023

Economic Impacts of Sweet Tooth Season One in New Zealand (with Motion Picture Association)

Economic Consulting Team

Oxford Economics

In 2020, production of Season One of “Sweet Tooth” resulted in total spending in New Zealand of over NZ$46 million. Spending with over 950 local suppliers of goods and services was the main expenditure item, making up 54% of the total expenditure at over NZ$25 million. The majority of this spending was done in Auckland and Waitakere. The remaining 46% of spending measured at NZ$21 million and was spent on wages and salaries for local production crew and other labor.

We calculate that expenditure by the production of Season One of “Sweet Tooth” stimulated over NZ$66 million in contribution to New Zealand’s GDP in 2020. We find that for every NZ$1 million that the production’s own activities contributed to the economy, its expenditure supported a further NZ$2.1 million along its supply chain and through the payment of wages.

We find that the expenditure undertaken by the show’s production stimulated a total of 1,180 full time and part time jobs across New Zealand in 2020. For every 100 people the production directly employed, its expenditure stimulated another 47 jobs across the country.

To download the report, please complete the form below.

The expert behind the research

Arushi and the other members of the economic consulting team bring years of experience in quantitative economic analysis working with clients around the globe and across sectors to build models, forecast markets and evaluate interventions using state-of-the-art techniques.

Arushi Pasricha

Assistant Economist, Economic Impact

Read the report

Complete the form below to download the report

Recent Motion Picture reports

Economic Impact of NCIS: Hawai’i Season Two

Across 2022-23, production of Season Two of “NCIS: Hawai’i” resulted in total spending in the state of approximately $79.4 million.

Find Out More
The Economic Contribution of Mexico’s Audiovisual Industry

This report demonstrates the integral role that the AV industry plays in Mexico's economy by estimating the industry’s domestic economic footprint. The analysis comprises all aspects of the audiovisual industry, including film production, distribution, and exhibition; the production, distribution, and broadcast of television content on free-to-air and pay TV channels; and online video platforms. Our estimates provide a recent snapshot of the audiovisual industry, including impacts at the broader industry level and broken out by sub-sector.

Find Out More
Economic impacts of “Pitch Perfect: Bumper in Berlin” in Germany

This study, commissioned by the Motion Picture Association (MPA), focuses on the show “Pitch Perfect: Bumper in Berlin”, and analyses the production’s total economic impacts in Germany in 2022, when the series was filmed. The study also considers the wider impact on Germany’s economy.

Find Out More
Economic Impacts of The White Lotus Season Two in Italy

In 2022, production of Season Two of “The White Lotus” resulted in total spending in Italy of over €32 million. Oxford Economics calculates that this spending stimulated over €38 million in contribution to Italy’s GDP in 2022 while supporting approximately 1,900 full time and part time jobs across the country.

Find Out More