Consulting Report
13 May 2024

Economic Impact of NCIS: Hawai’i Season Two

Commissioned by the Motion Picture Association

Across 2022-23, production of Season Two of “NCIS: Hawai’i” resulted in total spending in the state of approximately $79.4 million. Spending on wages and salaries for local production crew and other labor was the main expenditure item, making up 68% of the total expenditure at $53.7 million. The remaining 32% of spending was on local suppliers of goods and services at $25.7 million with over 800 local businesses.

We calculate that expenditure by the production of Season Two of “NCIS: Hawai’i” stimulated nearly $104.7 million in contribution to the state’s GDP in 2022–23. We find that for every $1 million that the production’s own activities contributed to the economy, its expenditure supported a further $950,000 along its supply chain and through the payment of wages.

We find that the expenditure undertaken by the show’s production stimulated a total of 1,100 full time and part time jobs across Hawai’i in 2022-23. For every 100 people the production directly employed, its expenditure stimulated another 59 jobs across the state.

The experts behind the research

Our Economic Consulting team are world leaders in quantitative economic analysis, working with clients around the globe and across sectors to build models, forecast markets and evaluate interventions using state-of-the art techniques. Lead consultants on this project were:

Alice Gambarin

Lead Economist, Economic Impact

Arushi Pasricha

Economist, Economic Impact

Fabian Juarez

Assistant Economist, Economic Impact

Recent Motion Picture reports

The Economic Contribution of Mexico’s Audiovisual Industry

This report demonstrates the integral role that the AV industry plays in Mexico's economy by estimating the industry’s domestic economic footprint. The analysis comprises all aspects of the audiovisual industry, including film production, distribution, and exhibition; the production, distribution, and broadcast of television content on free-to-air and pay TV channels; and online video platforms. Our estimates provide a recent snapshot of the audiovisual industry, including impacts at the broader industry level and broken out by sub-sector.

Find Out More
Economic impacts of “Pitch Perfect: Bumper in Berlin” in Germany

This study, commissioned by the Motion Picture Association (MPA), focuses on the show “Pitch Perfect: Bumper in Berlin”, and analyses the production’s total economic impacts in Germany in 2022, when the series was filmed. The study also considers the wider impact on Germany’s economy.

Find Out More
Economic Impacts of The White Lotus Season Two in Italy

In 2022, production of Season Two of “The White Lotus” resulted in total spending in Italy of over €32 million. Oxford Economics calculates that this spending stimulated over €38 million in contribution to Italy’s GDP in 2022 while supporting approximately 1,900 full time and part time jobs across the country.

Find Out More
Economic Impacts of Sweet Tooth Season One in New Zealand (with Motion Picture Association)

In 2020, production of Season One of “Sweet Tooth” resulted in total spending in New Zealand of over NZ$46 million.

Find Out More