Recent Release | 10 Mar 2023
The case for a permanent investment deduction
Scenarios & Macroeconomic Modelling
This report is CBI‘s business case for a successor to the super-deduction regime. It investigates policy options the UK can deploy to maintain its global tax competitiveness and avoid a drop in business investment.
Background to the research:
- Investment incentives are set to fall in the UK. In April 2023, the Corporation Tax rate is set to increase from 19% to 25% at the same time as the end of the super-deduction regime.
- Before the super-deduction was introduced the UK ranked 30th out of 37 countries in the OECD for capital allowances and it could return there once the super-deduction ends.
CBI analysis, conducted in collaboration with Oxford Economics, shows that a permanent investment deduction (100% full expensing) could unlock:
- A 21% (£52.8bn) increase in the level of business investment per year by 2030/31.
- An increase in the level of GDP by 2.0% (£53.1bn) by 2030/31.
- While there is an upfront cost, the long-run net balance sheet impact is positive for Government.
About the team
Our economic consulting team are world leaders in quantitative economic analysis, working with clients around the globe and across sectors to build models, forecast markets and evaluate interventions using state-of-the art techniques. Lead consultants on this project were:
Climate Scenarios & Macroeconomic Modelling
Scenarios and Macro Modelling
You might be interested in
From opportunity to impact – Assessing the economic, societal, and cultural benefits of YouTube in Canada in 2022
This study presents an updated assessment of YouTube’s contribution to Canada's GDP and employment, and its broader impact on society and culture.Find Out More
Multilateral Development Banks for Global Public Goods
The global challenges of today are transboundary and pose existential risks for our societies and economies – including climate change, biodiversity loss, pandemics, fragility, violence and conflict.Find Out More
Generating ROI with AI: Six capabilities that drive world-class results
Generative AI has taken the business world by storm, with large language models (LLMs)—including OpenAI’s ChatGPT—splashed across the news. And executives aren’t immune to the hype. AI is becoming an ever-larger component of IT budgets, with worldwide spending on AI-centric systems expected to hit $154 billion this year—up 27% over 2022. But will enterprises spend these resources wisely? Our research says yes—if organizations take a disciplined approach.Find Out More
Deep Green: How data, technology and collaboration will drive the next phase of sustainability in business
How data, technology and collaboration will drive the next phase of sustainability in businessFind Out More