Oxford Economics, a leading economic research and consultancy firm, is looking to hire a head of Business Development Japan. The main responsibility for this role will be to build the subscription research business within the territory, focussing selling and servicing existing clients. The role will focus on selling subscription services in the financial services sector with a focus on asset managers in addition to managing the local team with overall responsibility across a range of industries, including government, real estate, infrastructure, corporates and financial services in Japan and Korea.
This position will serve as a senior sales person located in Tokyo and will also be responsible for sales and working closely across marketing activities in Japan and Korea. This will include organizing client events and conferences, developing targeted marketing campaigns and promoting the Oxford Economics brand in the territory.
This role is an integral part of Oxford’s growth plans for Asia-Pacific and is an exciting opportunity to join a fast-growing company at the forefront of the industry. The key responsibilities within this role are as follows:
- Manage the business development team in Japan
- Develop and execute the strategy for business development
- Initiate and close sales of subscription services, through face-to-face meetings, outreach campaigns phone sales and conferences
- Research, create and implement sales plans for assigned sectors/territory
- Through market analysis, identify key companies in the territory, key individuals within companies, and establish relationships with the purpose of closing sales
- Coordinate sector business development initiatives and build a pipeline for the respective sector or country
- Maintain a knowledge of global economic and business trends to facilitate conversations with clients
- Create sales presentations and lead meetings with prospective clients
- Work closely with senior economics team to promote Oxford brand and research being produced in region in addition to product development
- Prepare reports to be shared with senior management
- Communicate opportunities, challenges and feedback to rest of immediate team
- Record and share insight and learnings on the prospects, clients and leads and share with rest of the team
Marketing and Product Enhancements
- Work with marketing team to organise and manage marketing events to raise brand profile and increase sales opportunities
- Coordinate with the marketing team to run campaigns to sell various subscription services
- Provide feedback based on client interaction and competitor analysis
Skills and Experience: Required
- Fluent in Japanese
- Experience selling to financial services including large asset managers in Japan
- A proven, demonstrable sales track record, with at least 7 years of experience.
- Experience selling business and/or economic research to a c-suite executive’s
- Must be highly organised and able to manage multiple projects at once
- Candidate must have strong presentation and writing skills
- Must have knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
- Must be a self-starter, with the drive to set and reach ambitious goals
- Must be a proven seller and be able to demonstrate achieving sales targets
Skills and Experience: Desired
- Economics, business or international affairs degree; advanced degree or MBA preferable
- Existing contacts at finance, corporate and government organisations in Japan
- Experience selling to information specialists
- Preference for a business development background with a hunter gatherer mentality
- Experience in managing a team
How to Apply
To apply for the role, please submit a CV and covering letter, detailing how you meet the person specifications and where you have relevant experience of the elements and attributes of the role.
About Oxford Economics
Oxford Economics was founded in 1981 as a commercial venture with Oxford University’s business college to provide economic forecasting and modelling to UK companies and financial institutions expanding abroad. Since then, we have become one of the world’s foremost independent global advisory firms, providing reports, forecasts and analytical tools on more than 200 countries, 250 industrial sectors, and 7,000 cities and regions. Our best-of-class global economic and industry models and analytical tools give us an unparalleled ability to forecast external market trends and assess their economic, social and business impact.
Headquartered in Oxford, England, with regional centres in London, New York, and Singapore, Oxford Economics has offices across the globe in Belfast, Boston, Cape Town, Chicago, Dubai, Frankfurt, Hong Kong, Houston, Johannesburg, Los Angeles, Melbourne, Mexico City, Milan, Paris, Philadelphia, Sydney, Tokyo, and Toronto. We employ 500 full-time staff, including more than 300 professional economists, industry experts and business editors—one of the largest teams of macroeconomists and thought leadership specialists. Our global team is highly skilled in a full range of research techniques and thought leadership capabilities, from econometric modelling, scenario framing, and economic impact analysis to market surveys, case studies, expert panels, and web analytics.
We look forward to welcoming you to the Oxford Economics family.
Oxford Economics is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. We prohibit discrimination and harassment of any kind based on race, color, sex, religion, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, genetic information, pregnancy, or any other protected characteristic as outlined by governmental or local laws.Apply now