Excel Data Workstation is one of three complimentary platforms which make up the Oxford Economics Global Data Services. Together with the Global Data Workstation and Global Model Workstation, they provide economic data and analysis functions covering 200 countries, 100 industries, and over 3,000 cities and sub-regions.
Customers must have a subscription to one or more of the following products/services to take advantage of the facilities in Excel Data Workstation:
- 44 high quality charts in five dashboards of key economic forecast indicators.
- Dashboards available for both annual and quarterly data series.
- Dashboards cover all locations and 36 indicators in all measurements.
- Retrieves forecast data series from either Global Data Workstation or Global Model Workstation.
- On-demand refresh of data using built-in automation of Excel Data Workstation commands.
EDW v3.0 reproduces all the built-in dashboards of the new Global Model Workstation and Global Data Workstation:
- Forecast/Scenario Overview
- GDP and its components
- Inflation and its determinants
- Trade and balance of payments
- Labour market
- Direct model database connectivity, retrieval can include residuals, stacked quarters layout, and multiple measurements
- Direct export of sheet data to local model databases and E-Views
- A browser for viewing the latest analysis from Oxford Economics from within Excel
- New scripting commands, including the ability to automate direct model database connectivity
- High quality charts
- Zero installation – double click to run
Follow the instructions below to download and install the latest version of Excel Data Workstation. Once installed, an Oxford Economics menu item will appear in Microsoft Excel. Click on this menu to show a ribbon holding a number of functions as shown in the figure following.
- Microsoft Windows versions greater than Windows XP (i.e. will not work in Windows XP)
- Microsoft Excel 2007 | 2010 | 2013 | 2016 (64-bit recommended)
- An active internet connection to use the online Global Data Workstation
- Remove or disable all older versions of the Excel Data Workstation
Download the latest EXE installer file by clicking the link below: http://tools.oxfordeconomics.com/ExcelPlugin/Downloads.aspx
To begin, first ensure you meet all of the prerequisites listed above. Especially, check that all earlier versions of the Excel Data Workstation are removed or disabled. If not, please go into Add/Remove Programs find the Oxford Economics Excel Data Workstation, and uninstall.
Next, extract the .XLL files from your download, select and double click the version corresponding to your version of Excel (i.e. either 64- or 32-bit), and Excel will open with the Oxford Economics menu loaded. You will be prompted to load the plug-in automatically.
We recommend you mouse over the controls to read the fairly detailed tooltips provided. This is a good way to quickly get an idea of the features available.
The user guide is available in Excel Data Workstation by clicking on General | Arrow to open the About box and then choosing User Guide to open the user guide PDF document in your default PDF reader application.
The version number of the user guide distributed with EDW is consistent with the installed version of the add-in.
Click here to download the latest user guide without installing Excel Data Workstation.
James Mills is a Software Developer at Oxford Economics.
Arvindra Sehmi is Chief Information Officer and Director of IT at Oxford Economics.