International State Travel
Travel data covering international visits and nights by source country to the 50 United States.
Tourism Economics has developed a proprietary database to provide reliable, timely, and detailed international travel statistics for all 50 US states. This unique service has been developed using a combination of inputs to provide the most accurate view of state-level international travel ever produced. The database allows clients to quickly benchmark competitive states and track international market performance over time to inform global market strategies.
What the service includes
- Extensive databank. Comparable analysis for all 50 US states, providing international market detail for arrivals and spending by country of origin, including headline economic indicators and forecasts for top international markets.
- In-depth historical data, forecasts, and regular updates. Data starts in 2000 and is forecast ten years into the future based on the Oxford Economics economic outlook—the most widely used global economic model in the world. The database is updated every six months.
Software and support
- Robust methodology. The databank is based on a combination of survey data, origin-destination air passenger flows, and online searches for each state-origin country pair. The IST model is informed and constrained by national and regional totals, ensuring consistency over time and across states.
- Advanced analytical functions. Our web-based databank allows users to quickly build custom queries with complete flexibility and visualise the data in tables, charts, and maps. Searches can be saved for future reference and downloaded quickly to Excel and Adobe formats, and even shown on a heat map.
- Economist support. We provide full client support to answer questions about our data or forecasts.
International State Travel provides hundreds of indicators for each of the 50 States, Washington, DC, and the US:
Visits by origin
- International visits
- Total international state visits
- Total overseas visits)
- Visits by region (North Africa, Sub-Saharan Africa, Western Europe, Emerging Europe, Middle East, North America, South America, Central America, Caribbean, South Asia, Southeast Asia, Northeast Asia, Oceania.
- Visits by country
Spending by origin
- Total international spending
- Total overseas spending
- Spending by region
- Spending by country
- Supporting data (GDP, exchange rate)
Request a free trial
Please fill out the form below, and we will be in touch.